cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three-way SMLT/vIST

Three-way SMLT/vIST

Nicolas_Melay
New Contributor III

I have SMLT/vIST working between two VSP7400.
I need to create antoher SMLT between one of them and a third VSP7400.
There's no way to make this happen, right ?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Jave
Contributor

Hi Nico,

No, for me, it's impossible, one VOSS can by design only be member of one single vIST.

Regards,

Jave

View solution in original post

TQU
New Contributor III

Hi Nicolas,

No way, cluster SMLT/vIST are only by pair.

Why can't you attach the device on first cluster ?

regards,

TQU

i see your image now

the SMLT and LACP links must terminate on the same vIST cluster. So in your example you can't have switch stacks going to a vIST cluster spanned across two DC's and then support MLAG to the servers in the same DC.

in your example core A1 and B1 must be in the vist peers for each other. But that would break your LAGs to your servers.

the only way you could do this is research what kind of NIC teaming your servers support. Some servers like ESXi and Microsoft have an L2 teaming feature that doesn't require a LACP LAG on the switch side. you only need to configure access or tagged ports.

8 REPLIES 8

FredrikB-NN2
Contributor

I don't think it helps you as you use VOSS, but in EXOS you can have two MLAG peers per switch, so that would be doable there. If MLAG is implemented in or ported to VOSS, MLAG may still be an option.

TQU
New Contributor III

Hi Nicolas,

No way, cluster SMLT/vIST are only by pair.

Why can't you attach the device on first cluster ?

regards,

TQU

Jave
Contributor

Hi Nico,

No, for me, it's impossible, one VOSS can by design only be member of one single vIST.

Regards,

Jave

Roger_Lapuh
Extreme Employee

not with SMLT, but use SPB instead, there you are absolutely free on what topologies you want to build.

Roger

GTM-P2G8KFN