Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to switch access point from primary controler to secondary on V6120

How to switch access point from primary controler to secondary on V6120

jchaumeton
New Contributor II

Hi,

we actually have two V6120 in active/passive mode, all the APs are connected on the primary one, how i can switch APs to the secondary ?

Regards,

Jonathan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Paulo_Francisco
Extreme Employee

Hi Jonathan,

There are two default High-Availability modes in ExtremeCloud IQ Controller:

1. Active/Active - Controllers automatically assign APs in a 50:50 balance ratio, keeping the APs evenly distributed between both HA peers
  2. Active/Passive - In this mode Primary controller manages ALL APs (ratio 100:0). Backup controller is pretty much standby. It will transparently assume all APs (and users) in case of a Failover event (like Primary upgrade) - and will return them to Primary when HA link restores.

There are two options to override:

1) Per Site Override:

• if you have a particular Site that you want (all) its APs to be connected to a particular controller instance, then you can specify so in the Sites Advance options. All APs in that site will be managed by the indicated controller regardless of the global/default HA mode

Paulo_Francisco_2-1669864269182.png

2) Per AP Override

• If you are running or upgrade to 10.03.02, we have just introduced the option of allowing manual assignment of individual APs. In this case it would override either Global/default or Site assignments.

Paulo_Francisco_1-1669864171988.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Paulo_Francisco
Extreme Employee

Hi Jonathan,

There are two default High-Availability modes in ExtremeCloud IQ Controller:

1. Active/Active - Controllers automatically assign APs in a 50:50 balance ratio, keeping the APs evenly distributed between both HA peers
  2. Active/Passive - In this mode Primary controller manages ALL APs (ratio 100:0). Backup controller is pretty much standby. It will transparently assume all APs (and users) in case of a Failover event (like Primary upgrade) - and will return them to Primary when HA link restores.

There are two options to override:

1) Per Site Override:

• if you have a particular Site that you want (all) its APs to be connected to a particular controller instance, then you can specify so in the Sites Advance options. All APs in that site will be managed by the indicated controller regardless of the global/default HA mode

Paulo_Francisco_2-1669864269182.png

2) Per AP Override

• If you are running or upgrade to 10.03.02, we have just introduced the option of allowing manual assignment of individual APs. In this case it would override either Global/default or Site assignments.

Paulo_Francisco_1-1669864171988.png

Hi Paulo,

Thanks for the feedback, indeed I can force the APs to attach to one or the other controller by site, but what interests me most is to be able to do it in a global way for all my APs. I have actually 80 sites, it would be inconvenient to do it one by one.

Best regards,

Jonathan

GTM-P2G8KFN