cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to login to HiPath Wireless Controller - Error "User is not in valid user groups"

Unable to login to HiPath Wireless Controller - Error "User is not in valid user groups"

Martin_Shadbolt
New Contributor II
The HiPath wireless controller (C2400 Enterprise running v7.3.1) was configured for Local and RADIUS authentication for the Management Interface (under the "Login Management" menu). I was only able to login with my RADIUS credentials, and wanted to reset the local Admin user password. To do this, the GUI requires you to disable RADIUS authentication. Thinking I knew the local Admin password, I disabled RADIUS. This logs me out. When I attempt to login as admin (all lowercase), it fails and I receive error "User is not in valid user groups. Please contact your administrator for more instructions."
I have SSH'd to the controller and reset the password via the command line, but this makes no difference. Likewise I've changed passwords for other users, and created new users of varying privilege levels, but these all fail in the same way.
So now I seem to be effectively logged out of the web GUI for this device, despite being able to reset the password via CLI.
I'm not sure if we have a recent backup, and I'm not local to the controller, and can't easily access it.
Please help!!
Thanks in advance,
-Martin
8 REPLIES 8

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
What version is running on the controller ?

I'd try a reboot and if that doesn't work to enable RADIUS again via CLI = to have the same config as before.

OK, I have progress. By re-enabling RADIUS via the CLI, I can now login to the Web GUI with RADIUS credentials. However!....
I still can't login with local admin credentials to the Web GUI, which is an issue.

Hi Ronald,
We're running v7.31.
Is it correct to say that the v7.31 CLI Reference Guide is the document that will explain how to re-enable RADIUS via the command line??
Thanks in advance,
-Martin
GTM-P2G8KFN