cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Issues with Extreme Access Wireless - Dropouts

Roaming Issues with Extreme Access Wireless - Dropouts

joshhunter
New Contributor
Hello, have a customer with 2x 5215 controllers setup in Fast Failover/Session Availability - so no Mobility is required. Roaming between Access Points causes quite a few ICMP Ping drops approx 4-5 and often can cause complete loss of wireless. When you manually try to connect to fails a number of times like the controller is rejecting the client, sometimes it connect but has no DHCP address.
Then after approx 30 seconds it will connect and have the same address as before.

This is a Layer 2 Roam so no Mobility is required the device keeps same IP Address.

This occurs on different devices including iPad Pro, iPhone and MacBook Pro and the devices are not panic scanning as the APs are in close enough proximity when this occurs.

This occurs on Open SSID but also on WPA2-PSK so no RADIUS issue.

The software is quite up to date. I configured NTP server on the Controllers as this was missing but still getting drops out and disconnects.

Any tips or does anyone else have any experience of this?
5 REPLIES 5

Steve_Ballantyn
Contributor
I have been in this same boat! I see that this was reported a month ago, but Matthew was also having issues. I would suggest opening a GTAC case if you haven't yet done that. There are some superstars on the support team that will pick up on things in your config that you may not have thought about.

Also, if you have never "tuned" your AP settings out of the box, you should know that a lot of the time the default settings are not the suggested settings.

See this article: https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/What-are-the-best-radio-settings-for-my-envir...

There is a link in that article to an attached file ("Answer: Click to view file") which is VERY helpful in resolving weird roaming issues. I am refraining from linking the file directly, because it's often updated/repliaced and re-linked from the above KB article. 

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
I'd try it with mobility just to see whether it has any affect, takes a minute to configure.

-Ron

Matthew_Perry
New Contributor III
Was this resolved? Sounds similar to an issue I'm seeing

joshhunter
New Contributor
10.51.04.0009 and Bridge at Controller
GTM-P2G8KFN