cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

802.1X and iOS

802.1X and iOS

Andre_Jordaan
New Contributor II

iOS users can connect to a 802.1x SSID, but when roaming, most often fail to reconnect, Device GUI seems to connect and disconnect repeatedly. 

Roaming using Windows 10/11 seems fine as do Mac OSx (even if it can take a bit longer to reconnect.)

Same devices using a PSK SSID all seems ok roaming, so it must be a cache / re-auth issue.

I have set the roaming detail to be shared every 10 seconds and stretched the cache timeout to a bit longer. Does anybody have any suggestions on where I can start looking?

These are AP 410C on a Extreme Universal 5520 - with the current latest firmware as of today.  Radius is the Extreme Site Engine version 23.2.11.10.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Andre_Jordaan
New Contributor II

Changing from 802.11 AX to 802.11 AC and disabling 802.11w on the SSID seems to make a difference

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Andre_Jordaan
New Contributor II

Changing from 802.11 AX to 802.11 AC and disabling 802.11w on the SSID seems to make a difference

That sounds like a bandaid rather than a fix.

My optimal settings when it comes to radius (We have around 12k IOS users over 15 clients with zero issues)

Check out your optional settings inside the SSID profile.

• -Enable 802.11K and Dualband neighbour list.
  • -Enable 802.11V (Do not enable forced disassociation)
  • Enable 802.11r
  • Enable WMM for voice and video
  • disable automatic power save (Intel devices hate this)

In Advanced Security:

• Enable preauthentication (Disabled by default, caches radius, sorts random issues often, speeds roaming). Alt: Disable it. I've always enabled without issue.
  • Ensure PMK-ID response is disabled. I've seen this hang some clients if they cannot validate PMKID frames.

There is a bunch more we can do as well. Downgrading AX -> AC hurts me.

-----
-Brent Addis / Extreme Black Belt #491

New to Extreme? Check out the Welcome series here - https://training.extremenetworks.com/welcome-series-1
Want to join the official Extreme learners discord? Let me know!
GTM-P2G8KFN