Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP302W OS personality change and documentation

AP302W OS personality change and documentation

VicR
New Contributor
Hi there,

I have been using my AP302W with XIQ for some time now and I have concluded, that XIQ doesn't provide the manageability that I am after.

I would therefore like to switch to a locally managed firmware but I am struggling to find any documentation that can help me achieve this. The only useful documentation that I have found so far is the following generic doc: How To: How to check and change universal hardware AP OS personality. | Extreme Portal

What I really need is an AP302W specific user and administrator manual, that details things like connecting to the device (must I purchase a USB cable), what settings and parameters are available etc. Trying to find this document, while also searching under Aerohive has returned no results.

Does anyone here have access to these documents and are you willing to share them with me please?

4 REPLIES 4

RobertZ
Extreme Employee

see below KB, it has link to part number of the new usb console cable

How to console into an Extreme Cloud (XIQ) AP using a micro USB console cable

VicR
New Contributor
Hi both,

Thank you for the replies and screenshot/links.
I need to know how I can convert this to a standalone AP which won't be managed by a controller.
The link mentions baud rates but there's no serial port on the device, only a micro usb.

What kind of micro usb to standard usb cable is required here? Would any ol' micro to type A cable work?
Do I need any special driver or software installed to interface serially with the AP over USB?

If the AP doesn't get an IP handed via DHCP option, does it default to a standard IP that I then can connect to?
How do I interface with the AP if not through a controller or console? Is there a web console and if so, what is the default login please?

If there's any documentation about the web console and its features/settings, then I'd love to get a copy.

Christoph_S
Extreme Employee
Hello Vic,

Here are some instructions for your perusal: https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000092794

BR

------------------------------
Christoph S.
Christoph S.

Emre_Kurtman
Extreme Employee
Vic,

You can simply use XIQ UI to change the personality to WiNG (on-prem). Select the AP in XIQ Devices dashboard, select the Actions and "change OS to WING" option. The AP will then boot in an unknown personality mode and a discovery module will start to define the personality to be either WiNG native (distributed on-prem) or XCC (centralized on-prem) depending on the DHCP Options (Option 78 for XCC and Option 191 for WiNG) or other discovery methods such as DNS.

834ab6798e0349b88166b50229840472.png

Emre Kurtman
Technical Marketing Engineer / Extreme Networks
Emre Kurtman Technical Marketing Engineer / Extreme Networks
GTM-P2G8KFN