Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi Calling Poor Performance

Wi-Fi Calling Poor Performance

DBurritt
New Contributor II

Hi All,

We have 5 AP230s and we are experiencing consistently bad performance on Wi-Fi calling.  When Wi-Fi calling is enabled, it works intermittently. Calls will sometimes go through, sometimes not. Calls going out will often work for a minute and then cut out to cell. Since we have little to no cell,  the calls then drop. 

We have tried enabling voice enterprise and it seemed to improve the situation, but not remedy it. We've tried quality of service settings with voice calls as highest priority, and that also didn't remedy the issue. We have 100x100 fiber so we have a very solid connection. All of our desktop phones run over the wired network with no issues. 

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. We have about 15 people who work in the building with varying devices and they all experience this issues. 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ash_Finch
Contributor III

Hello,
A few ideas and a few questions!

AP Firmware version?
Are the devices static or roaming through the building when on calls? Additionally if you look at a client in client360 can you see it roam at the approx time of a call dropping?
Presuming these are mobiles that are connected to the WiFi, do you know what they're connected to (2.4 or 5GHz)? - may be worth changing to 5GHz only if possible to see if that makes a difference. 

Do you have any load balancing or band steering enabled in radio profiles? Any high utilisation of APs/Airtime/Interference observed?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ash_Finch
Contributor III

Hello,
A few ideas and a few questions!

AP Firmware version?
Are the devices static or roaming through the building when on calls? Additionally if you look at a client in client360 can you see it roam at the approx time of a call dropping?
Presuming these are mobiles that are connected to the WiFi, do you know what they're connected to (2.4 or 5GHz)? - may be worth changing to 5GHz only if possible to see if that makes a difference. 

Do you have any load balancing or band steering enabled in radio profiles? Any high utilisation of APs/Airtime/Interference observed?

DBurritt
New Contributor II

Hi Ash,

I went ahead and created a separate SSID to test on with just 5ghz.  Testing on my device it worked significantly better, except when I roamed and then it was about 5 to 10 seconds before it was restored.  I didn't think it would be something so simple, but you seemed to have really hit the nail on the head.  Thank you!

DBurritt
New Contributor II

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time. I'm a librarian, primarily, so pardon my ignorance on some of these issues. The firmware says current, but this is listed as well:

• IQ Engine 10.5r3 build-278650

I'll check the client roaming next time there is a wi-fi call. I thought that may be the case, but since a lot of calls aren't even making it to the device(straight to VM), I was hesitant to think this was the case.

I'll disable  2.4ghz  to see if it makes a difference, but the devices should be on 5Ghz. 

No particularly high utilization during these time periods, it often happens before we open to the public so it's just about 10 staff members.  We enabled QoS settings and prioritized voice traffic. It seemed to have made a small difference, but not enough to have a meaningful impact. And since the issues are intermittent it is hard to tell whether it even made a small difference. 

Thanks for your thoughts and I'll definitely keep a look at the roaming issue/disabling the 2.4ghz band. 

Sjoerdg
New Contributor III

Hi, 

Are the client devices Apple iPhones? 

Maybe check the following articles:

https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000103899

https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000108204

I do not know what troubleshooting you have done so far, do you only have issues with VoIP traffic on the Wifi?

Is there any interference reported by the AP's. occurs the issue when you roam from one AP to another AP?

Are the calling devices connected to the 5Ghz wifi or the 2.4Ghz frequency?

Thanks!,

Kind regards,

Sjoerd

GTM-P2G8KFN