Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP560h used for AP on a stick survey

AP560h used for AP on a stick survey

Ken_Applebaum
New Contributor II

Hi,

Back in March I asked this forum if AP settings configured in the XCC remain on the AP if it is disconnected from the network, and powered by a battery. The answer I got is that it does, https://community.extremenetworks.com/t5/extremewireless-wing/does-channel-and-power-settings-of-ap5...

So I have finally configured my AP in the XCC, or should I say the Cloud IQ Controller, and it broadcasts its SSIDs, and passed client traffic. I realize that no traffic will be passed when the AP is powered by a battery, but the SSIDs are not being broadcast.

The AP's status light is green, but the radios are off. It is powered via a PoE++ port on the battery.

I am not sure what I am missing to have this AP broadcast its SSID's at their configured strength when powered by an external battery, and not connected to our network. 

If anyone has experience working with APoaS surveys, please advise.

Thanks,
Ken

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Applebaum
New Contributor II

Hi again!

I was about to use the SSH commands from the above referenced article, How to set up an ExtremeCloud IQ (XIQ) AP for "AP on a stick " survey mode. However, I found another Extreme KB titled "Wireless Site Survey configuration guide for Extreme CloudIQ APs".

The two articles have very different command sets. There are other issues between the two KBs as well.

"How to set up an ExtremeCloud IQ (XIQ) AP for "AP on a stick" survey mode":
1) There are no commands to set the channel for each radio, so I am assuming that it will use the channels that were configured in XCIQ, correct?
2) The KB recommends to set the power to 15 for wifi0 (2.4GHz) and 20 for wifi1 (5GHz). However, within the ECIQ controller, the AP560h does not appear to support 20 dBm for radio 2. I am assuming I will need to configure the power for 11 dBm, since this is what is supported for the channel it is configured for, correct?

"Wireless Site Survey configuration guide for Extreme CloudIQ APs" has many more commands to configure the AP, and:
1) The KB states that the AP will need to be factory reset first, and that once the configuration is saved I will not be able to manage it using the GUI. It sounds like this AP would not be able to be redeployed for other purposes, or does a factory reset need to be done if it was going to be redeployed?
2) I don't understand all the commands, but I can reach out to GTAC if needed.

Lastly, we only use radio 2, 5GHz only in our deployment, so I would rather only radio 2 be enabled for survey purposes. Both articles reference configuring wifi0 & wifi1. I am assuming these map to radio1 & radio2 on the APs. Can anyone confirm this?

Has anyone followed either of these KBs to enable you to use the AP to perform a survey on a stick?

Thanks,
Ken

Ken_Applebaum
New Contributor II

After posting this question, I found this Extreme KB, and am going to see if this procedure works or not:

https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000080085

GTM-P2G8KFN