Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme Controller Shows AP´s as inactive but they are pingable

Extreme Controller Shows AP´s as inactive but they are pingable

NetWolf
New Contributor

Hello Community,

coming from a Cisco Background I have some trouble understanding the Extreme Wireless Solution.

Maybe you can help me with your expertise.

I have two controllers with 323 AP´s connected to one controller (Controller1) as Local AP´s. They are Foreign to controller2. In a failover Scenario they migrate to controller2.

On the Dashboard I can see that 10 AP´s are Down (I can relate to every one of those because they´ve been set up and shipped to locations. So, there should be no connection at the moment.)

Now to the weird part: When I look in the AP Section of the Controller it says 57 AP´s status “Inactive”. There are the 10 shipped ones and 47 more that are pingable and seem perfectly fine. Why is that so? What does “Inactive” mean?

In the manual all there is written is the following:

“Understanding AP Status

The full AP list can be filtered to display just Foreign APs or just Local APs. When displaying a list of all APs, the value in the Status column is limited to Foreign or Local. In the left pane, click the Foreign or Local link to filter the list respectively. When the list is filtered, the value in the Status column changes.

Possible statuses for Local APs include:

• Pending. (You cannot view AP properties for Pending APs.)
  • Active
  • In-Active

Possible statuses for Foreign APs include:

• Active
  • In-Active

For information about changing an AP's status, see AP Actions.”

Sorry if my question is rudimental.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays everyone.

BR

NetWolf

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello NetWolf,

first of all it doesn’t matter if the APs are using the 1st or 2nd controller as primary. If you spread the APs over both controller you have a loadbalancing accross both controller.

But you can move all or parts here:

54bfaa38768f453a862adaf242c8294b_b712ec38-41af-4891-89f7-d07c53554056.png

If you want all APs to be active on the 1st controller. Go to the 2nd select all APs and select “Approve as Foreign”. Then the APs will use the 1st controller as primary.

Regards Stephan

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

NetWolf
New Contributor

Thanks you very much!

I will try this out.

BR

NetWolf

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello NetWolf,

first of all it doesn’t matter if the APs are using the 1st or 2nd controller as primary. If you spread the APs over both controller you have a loadbalancing accross both controller.

But you can move all or parts here:

54bfaa38768f453a862adaf242c8294b_b712ec38-41af-4891-89f7-d07c53554056.png

If you want all APs to be active on the 1st controller. Go to the 2nd select all APs and select “Approve as Foreign”. Then the APs will use the 1st controller as primary.

Regards Stephan

NetWolf
New Contributor

Hello Stephan & Christoph,

allright I was able to check that. I logged in to the second Controller and it says 313 foreign AP´s on the Dashboard. The first Controller says 313 local AP´s. In the AP Section the Second Controller shows the exact same amount AP´s active the first shows as inactive. Thats good. So therefore we should have no issue  in the first place. Is how can i transfer the AP´s from active on controller2 to active on controller1?

Version-wise we run: Software: 10.51.10.0006

Model should be: C5215

Do you still need a Screenshot?

Thanks for your Help and happy Holidays.

Best Regards,

NetWolf

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Ups, Christoph thank for your questions, based on the description I have assumed it is Identifi ;-).

Regards Stephan
GTM-P2G8KFN