cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need suggestions , Looking best solution for 2 WLC RFS6000 and NX5500 with different firmware version

Need suggestions , Looking best solution for 2 WLC RFS6000 and NX5500 with different firmware version

Aroon_Thongyod
New Contributor
Hi all , I need suggestions

I have 2 WLC

WLC1 RFS6000 Wing 8.4(not support 76xx and higher) 192.168.0.100
AP in system
AP650
AP6511
AP71xx
AP7502
AP7522

WLC2 NX5500 Wing 9.2(support 75xx and higher) 192.168.0.101

AP in system
many 76xx series

Now 2 WLC are on the same Vlan .

Question

Can I merge 2 WLC to make it easier when monitoring ?
Can I make them(WLC) to Primary/Secondary or active/stand by mode ?

Feel free to suggestion.

Thank too much for advance.
3 REPLIES 3

ckelly
Extreme Employee
To clarify, it creates challenges having 2 different/separate managed WiNG systems on the same VLANs or operating in the same air space.

Aroon_Thongyod
New Contributor

Hi Kelly,

Do you mean , shouldn't have 2 WLC on the same VLAN ?
Thank for your advice.

ckelly
Extreme Employee
Aroon,

The RFS6000 can be upgraded only to as high as 5.8.5 (you're currently running 5.8.4)
The NX5500 can run all the way to the latest WiNG code version - 5.9.6

As you seem to already recognize, you cannot run the older model APs with the newer 5.9.x code...so you have them adopted and managed by the RFS6000.

Regarding combining these two controllers into a 'cluster' - No, cluster formation requires that the two controllers be the same model as well as be running the same firmware version. In your case, there's no way to make this happen (even though you could load 5.8.4 onto the NX5500, the two controllers are very different hardware models).

As a side note though, running both of these systems on the same VLAN (and if the APs exist within the same RF environment) will create some challenges that I feel are beyond the scope of being covered here. I would very much suggest reaching out to GTAC to discuss this deployment with someone.
GTM-P2G8KFN