Did you mean: 

Wing AP connection is bad

Wing AP connection is bad

extremely_slow
New Contributor

My Wing AP connection is bad.

My Devices : AP310i, NX5500(7.7.1.3)

I had these symptoms:

1. SSID Connection is too slow or disconnect suddenly.

2. Ping is disconnected suddenly a few times. (or have a high latency)

3. When I use the third-party vendors APs in same place, I don't have a problem.

4. Wired network is good.

I checked :

1. no channel interference

2. I don't think signal is bad. I can get a -40~50dBm near the AP. However I have the problem. Even if I bring my phone close to the AP, the problem is the same.

3. I don't believe there are a lot of traffics(unicast / broadcast / multicast). Compared to other offices using 3rd party APs, offices using Extreme APs have significantly less traffic (including unicast/broadcast/multicast). However, there is still a problem.

4. SSID connection is normal when I turn on only one AP on one floor (I have a 7~8APs per floor). This is weird. Because if I'm close to a particular AP, it's around -40-50dBM, and adjacent APs measure around -60~-70dBM. I think the difference in signal strength is distinguishable enough for wireless clients.

5. I set up the 'BROADCAST-MULTICAST-CONTROL' ACL (I added some dhcp allow options for set up in/outbound both), and the problem got a lot better, but it didn't solve it perfectly.

6. Therefore I thought broadcast/multicast the main reason, so I tested that divided the vlan for AP, and I can check most of broadcast / multicast is not coming to extreme AP. But I can't feel problem got better.

Could you provide me with some useful advice?

Thank You.

4 REPLIES 4

Osalik
New Contributor

Thanks for this wonderful information. ReadyPay Online

Christoph_S
Extreme Employee

Hello,

You can start here: https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000063581

If this article does not help alleviate issue, we'd kindly ask you to open a GTAC case so that we may investigate further. 

Best regards,

Christoph S.

Hello,

I'm considering opening TAC. However, I can't go to the office installed Extreme AP often so I can't collect the log for TAC now. Therefore I want to know the helpful solution or any useful diagnostic command before opening the TAC.

A few days ago, I already found the link you gave me and tried the solutions:

1. Best practices firewall policy not implemented : I checked every configuration lines. It is already implemented perfectly. I only added the Broad-Multicast rule in firewall policy. It was helpful.

2. Smart-RF not mapped to the RF-domain : It is mapped.

3. Smart-RF enabled, but the radio power not maximized : I tried to set up various radio power in smart-RF. I want to say two case. I set maximize, client that is already connected get better, but new client get worse the their new ssid connection. When I set minimize, client can't connect ssid because signal is too weak. Now, lowest radio power is 10, highest radio power 17.

4. 2.4GHz radio channels are overlapping : I think there is some overlap in 2.4Ghz. But I don't think the overlap is too bad. But I have same problem in 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz both. 5Ghz radio channel is clean.

5. 2.4Ghz radio still configured to use "b" data rates : Problem got very worse when I connected "b" or "n" in 2.4Ghz. Therefore I set up data-rate 24Mbps (2.4ghz/5ghz both) and I'm always connecting "ax". Problme get better, but not resolve perfectly. 2.4Ghz "n" client and 5Ghz "ac" client has same problem.

6. Select Shutdown has not been disabled in the Smart RF policy (Applies to firmware versions: 5.9.2.x, 5.9.3.x) : I have some misundertanding. My settings is 'no select-shutdown' in smart-RF, is it correct? I have to turn on this settings?

7. DFS channels not removed on 5GHz radio : In my country and the office, They can use the DFS channel. So the AP is using DFS Channels now. If I removed the DFS channels, will it be get better? At the moment, there isn't interference in entire 5Ghz band.

8. 5GHz radio channel width not properly set : I tried 20Mhz / 40Mhz / 80Mhz / Auto. I can't feel problem get better. I rather feel the connection is bad when I set up 80Mhz. At the moment, it is 40Mhz.

9. Enable LDPC (if required and if disabled by default in some WiNG versions) : It is already enabled.

10. Disable 802.11ax standard on AX APs (optional and in very specific cases) : I can access the 'ax'. and Client that doesn't support the 'ax' can connect by 'ac'. I don't think it is my case.

11. Disable the 2.4GHz radio and only use the 5GHz radio : I think this solution is worth trying. However, both 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz have problems, so I don't think the probability is high.

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards.

Any updates on this issue?

GTM-P2G8KFN