Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wing - secure deployment in campus

Wing - secure deployment in campus

el_magneto
New Contributor

Hi, 

In my network security is always a big concern and I wonder how can I maximaze the security of adoption process and communication beetwen APs in RF Domain (common VLAN). In a standard way of adoption  it is based on a MAC adress of an AP (as far as I understand MAC address is a factor that distinguish beetwen devices)  whether I use auto adoption policys or static configuration on controller. But what if I want to be 100% sure that device adopted is mine and noone changed it into its own “hacked” device with spoofed MAC adress (even if this is very hypotetical situation)? Is “auto ipsec” a solution here? Or maybe somthing else? But what about mint links between APs in RF domain - the cannot be secured by ipsec. Am I right?

So the question is - is there a way to secure deployment so only devices which where in my “hands” before deployment can be adopted and form mint link/adjacencies beetwen each other in RF-domain?

If my way of thinking is wrong then correct me please f1a48fbfd793411aa4dce4c88d0a6dbf_1f609.png

11 REPLIES 11

ckelly
Extreme Employee

Agree about the spoofing...though the serial number part would certainly be more difficult...but the old adage - Security is like an onion.  Layers.  Make it as difficult for them as possible.

Not sure what you’re referring to with the “ service wireless inter-ap-key”.  I’m wondering if maybe you’re referring to the MINT area-id.  Please expand on that.

el_magneto
New Contributor

In a hypothetical situation if someone can spoof MAC of an AP he can also spoof a serial number. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I tired to test service wireless inter-ap-key but it seems not to work. I have a test RF-domain with 2 APs. And I set different keys on them. But they still can see each other, form neighbours link. Are still “mint pingable”. How to check if this command is working properly?

And I noticed that auto IPsec has a downside that on the controller you can set only one PSK and group ID for all APs. I thought I could build group ID + PSK per RF domain.

ckelly
Extreme Employee

If you want to tighten things down, then also consider setting up your auto-provisioning policy to include the serial numbers of the APs as a requirement for adoption.  In this case, if an AP is wanting to adopt, it must have a serial number that matches what you’ve specified.

There are other match criteria, but the serial number would be the best selection here from a security perspective.

el_magneto
New Contributor

So.. to summarize pieces of secure deployment:

• 802.1x on switch ports connected to APs (if possible)
  • secure management policies on Controllers and APs (minimum access)
  • auto-ipsec for adotpion and secure communication between APs and controlers  (but as pre-staging process , no auto-adoption, before adoption AP must be cofigured with key, group etc.)
  • “service wireless inter-ap-key” for secure MINT communication within a VLAN bettwern APa in RF domain.

Something needs to be added?

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi,

Agreed. It would be also good to distinguish particular attack vectors as they are going to have different countermeasures possible.

Assuming that securing access to MINT-related VLAN is not possible, we have controller/AP management plane to secure and MINT frames themselves.

Regarding management access, IMO Management Policy is fair enough to restrict management connection attempts to a controller (to just particular source IPs and to particular protocols and ports) and to APs (all can be disabled, you will always be able to reach AP CLI with a console port and thru controller’s CLI with ‘connect’ command).

Regarding MINT security without IPsec… I didn’t play with this command yet, but maybe could help with MINT encryption:

service wireless inter-ap-key

CC @Chris Kelly@vanelm 

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

GTM-P2G8KFN