Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EXOS or VOSS

EXOS or VOSS

EF
Contributor II
Hi team!!!

I have a new deployment with universal hardware switches, now we have to take a decision about the architecture:

- tradicional stacks with EXOS?
- flexibility SPB cloud with standalon devices?

Im confused about why SPB devices can´t work on stack, and maybe this is a problem for a customers that works with Nortel/Avaya ERS legacy stacks because the number of mgmt IPs grow, but in the other hand with SPB they will have more flexibility and more fault tolereance.

Is there any document with pros and cons? Comparative whitepaper?

what is your opinon?

Regards

EF
6 REPLIES 6

FredrikB-NN
New Contributor

Generally I'd stay away from stacking with EXOS. We've moved away since we never stopped seeing temporary loops and all sorts of weird behaviour despite cases and "fixes". It seems the backup is very eager to take over from the primary as the primary goes down for a stack reboot so it starts enabling interfaces that the master had brought down just before it reboots itself. ELRP goes BOOM all over the network when this happens. Customers are moving to MLAG in dist and single switches in access because of this (and other weirdness in stacks).

Stefan_K_
Valued Contributor
It depends. You want to use fabric? Use VOSS. Traditional/normal networking? EXOS.
What are the planned core-switches? How big is the networks / how many switches are planned?

EF
Contributor II
It´s about 50 switches, I Would like to use VOSS because the mgmt interface is the same as legacy ERS that which is the customer network, plus all the benefits of SPB network. But I see problem in the work day because the administration grows (each VSP is standalone).

TQU
New Contributor III
Hello EF, 

You should discuss with the customer and his network team. 
From my point of view, it depend on what you want to connect on devices which level of redundanc you want. 
For user access device (edge) -> Stack of EXOS
For server or all double link device -> VOSS and vIST cluster
For Core device -> VOSS Fabric SPBm (vIST cluster if required)

about pros/cons, i don't see any document about it. 
My opinion :
VOSS was created for core device, not for access. They add layer 2 protection and some access mecanisme to VOSS recently but in front of XOS, i found that XOS offert better control and security option. And you can use Fabric Attach to expend the fabric.
I understand that the GUI is not EDM BOSS/VOSS but XOS Chalet do the job.
With VOSS at the Edge, it will be more flexible (under condition that you have more fiber links) but it can be more harder to admin it for IT team. If GUI is important for your customer, it sound like they are not familiar with automation tools. And if they need to repeat each modifications on each node through the GUI, they will regret the stack option. 
This is why you should discuss with your customer to understand their methodes, if they are open to change, automation, XIQ, etc.. 

Regards, 
Théo 

GTM-P2G8KFN