Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Master and Port Slave

Port Master and Port Slave

MUNIR_ENG
New Contributor III
hello Dears,

could you please give support to my for this task .I have eXtreme switch type Summit X450-24x DC in my network. i want to know how I can make one port Master and another one port a slave , it will working automatically when the master go to down? kindly see the attached image.

2e7056a596324880b13417ac8bb9caab_RackMultipart20160324-18582-xcuemz-P3_Master___P1_P2_Slave__inline.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

Derek_Bird
Extreme Employee
Munir: Here are some Guidelines for Software-Controlled Redundant Ports and Port Groups

Software-controlled redundant ports and port groups have the following guidelines and limitations:
  • You cannot have any Layer 2 protocols configured on any of the VLANs that are present on the ports. (You will see an error message if you attempt to configure software redundant ports on ports with VLANs running Layer 2 protocols.)
  • The primary and redundant ports must have identical VLAN membership.
  • The master port is the only port of a load-sharing group that can be configured as either a primary or redundant port. Also, all ports on the load-sharing group must fail before the software-controlled redundancy is triggered.
  • You must disable the software redundancy on the master port before enabling or disabling load sharing.
  • You can configure only one redundant port for each primary port.
  • Recovery may be limited by FDB aging on the neighboring switch for unidirectional traffic. For bidirectional traffic, the recovery is immediate.
Configuring Software-Controlled Redundant Ports

When provisioning software-controlled redundant ports, configure only one side of the link as redundant. To enable the software-controlled redundant port feature, the primary and redundant ports must have identical VLAN membership.
  • To configure a software-controlled redundant port, use the following command:
configure ports primaryPort redundant secondaryPort {link [on | off]}The first port specified is the primary port. The second port specified is the redundant port.
  • Unconfigure a software-controlled redundant port, use the following command and enter the primary port(s):
unconfigure ports port_list redundant
  • To configure the switch for the Smart Redundancy feature, use the following command:
enable smartredundancy port_list
  • To disable the Smart Redundancy feature, use the following command:
disable smartredundancy port_list Verifying Software-Controlled Redundant Port Configurations
You can verify the software-controlled redundant port configuration by issuing a variety of commands.
  • To display the redundant ports as well as which are active or members of load-sharing groups, use the following command:
show ports redundant
  • To display information on which ports are primary and redundant software-controlled redundancy ports, use the following command:
show port {mgmt | port_list | tag tag} information {detail}

JohanHendrikx
Contributor II
This can only work when port 1 and 2 are configured as a trunk.

Johan Hendrik System Architect Audax

MUNIR_ENG
New Contributor III
Thank for your replay. I want port3 active work as master and ports 1,2 backup work as slave . that mean when port 3 go to down immediately ports 1,2 go to on.

JohanHendrikx
Contributor II
for redundant network:

configure por 1 redundant 2 link on. when port 1 goes down port 2 immediately is active

Johan Hendrik System Architect Audax
GTM-P2G8KFN