cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing configured XOS X590 , being added to Extreme Cloud IQ will the configuration be removed ?

Existing configured XOS X590 , being added to Extreme Cloud IQ will the configuration be removed ?

Rod_Robertson
New Contributor III

Thsi is my first experiance with extreme Cloud IQ switch management.

My question is, currently there is no internet connection , for a new installation, can I completely configure teh X590’s and multiple stacks , Ospf etc , and once internet access is availble , regester them on Extreme Cloud IQ , without effecting the existing configurtion.

My concern is that once registered in EIQ , that the swicthes will be defaulted.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dilraj_Singh_Kh
Extreme Employee

Hi Rod

The configuration will not be defaulted since XIQ just appends the configuration, but there is a catch. All the settings which are there in the Template will get pushed to the device once you update the device via XIQ. Though there are not many options/features available in terms of making the configuration changes, but whatever options are preconfigured in the template will get applied to the device and will overwrite those particular configurations which are pre-existing in the device.

The first time when you onboard a device to XIQ, it forces you to do a config push. This is to ensure that the device configuration is in sync with XIQs. Once that is done, further configuration push can just be Deltas. Since at this moment, XIQ can’t read the device configuration and sync automatically, the user is supposed to check the configuration before pushing. XIQ provides a nice window where you can review the commands which will be pushed as part of the configuration update before actually pushing it to the device so that the user can review it.

So let’s say if you want to change the MTU of the device via XIQ then you first need to make sure that the rest of the configuration in the “Template” is the same as what you have in the device.

As of now, it is recommended to use XIQ only for Green deployment only when it comes to EXOS or VOSS devices.

NOTE: Just adding the device in XIQ will not affect the device in any way until and unless you make any configuration changes via XIQ.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,
DILRAJ

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Dilraj_Singh_Kh
Extreme Employee

Hi Rod

The configuration will not be defaulted since XIQ just appends the configuration, but there is a catch. All the settings which are there in the Template will get pushed to the device once you update the device via XIQ. Though there are not many options/features available in terms of making the configuration changes, but whatever options are preconfigured in the template will get applied to the device and will overwrite those particular configurations which are pre-existing in the device.

The first time when you onboard a device to XIQ, it forces you to do a config push. This is to ensure that the device configuration is in sync with XIQs. Once that is done, further configuration push can just be Deltas. Since at this moment, XIQ can’t read the device configuration and sync automatically, the user is supposed to check the configuration before pushing. XIQ provides a nice window where you can review the commands which will be pushed as part of the configuration update before actually pushing it to the device so that the user can review it.

So let’s say if you want to change the MTU of the device via XIQ then you first need to make sure that the rest of the configuration in the “Template” is the same as what you have in the device.

As of now, it is recommended to use XIQ only for Green deployment only when it comes to EXOS or VOSS devices.

NOTE: Just adding the device in XIQ will not affect the device in any way until and unless you make any configuration changes via XIQ.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,
DILRAJ

Brian_Anderson1
Contributor

Following, will soon run into this situation too.

GTM-P2G8KFN