cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send untagged VLAN using FA-VLAN-ISID from NAC

Can't send untagged VLAN using FA-VLAN-ISID from NAC

James_A
Valued Contributor

I am moving from using LLDP to send a voice VLAN, to using ExtremeControl to do the same, with Fabric Attach on an EXOS switch. This means sending the VLAN untagged instead of tagged, with FA-VLAN-ISID set to 0:10010100 (where 10010100 is my Voice I-SID) per https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000104792 and https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000105350

But I can't get NAC to send that value - either it sends FA-VLAN-ISID=100:10010100 (as 100 is the Voice VLAN tag) or if I set the VLAN to None, it doesn't send FA-VLAN-ISID at all. Changing the VLAN egress to Untagged doesn't have the desired effect:

James_A_0-1680672220647.png

Is there a way to get this to work or do I need to open a case with TAC?

I also want to do this with VOSS instead of NEAP with LLDP, since that doesn't send any information to XIQ-SE (and in XIQ it shows the onboarding VLAN, not the auto-sense voice I-SID/VLAN). Although with VOSS it does the opposite and always sends 0:10010100:

James_A_1-1680672611388.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Zdeněk_Pala
Extreme Employee

Hi James_A

can you please clarify what is your goal? If you send FA-VLAN:ISID=0:10010100 then it should be untagged on egress and on ingress it goes to 10010100 I-SID.

Another approach is the combination of AutoSense and NAC and LLDP:

If you want the phone to appear in XIQ-SE access control end-stations, i.e. the phone to RADIUS authenticate, while still benefiting from LLDP-Med on the switch the recipe is:

• Set the global auto-sense voice I-SID / VLAN-id on the switch
  • Let the access ports have auto-sense enabled
  • Do not enable LLDP-auth for the phones
  • On the RADIUS server side (access control policy mapping or Policy role) DO NOT return ANY VLAN/I-SID via RADIUS

The phone will then:

• Get the Voice VLAN from LLDP as well as other phone related LLDP parameters, like Qos, etc
  • The phones’ MAC will be used for RADIUS MAC authentication (or EAP auth if using TLS…)
  • The switch auto-sense port will have already positioned the auto-sense Voice I-SID/VLAN on the access port
  • When/if the RADIUS server returns “Permit”, then the phone is allowed to send traffic onto the Voice VLAN (NOTE, the RADIUS response must not return any I-SID/VLAN; no need)
  • The phone will now show up under Access control end-stations
Regards Zdeněk Pala

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Zdeněk_Pala
Extreme Employee

Hi James_A

can you please clarify what is your goal? If you send FA-VLAN:ISID=0:10010100 then it should be untagged on egress and on ingress it goes to 10010100 I-SID.

Another approach is the combination of AutoSense and NAC and LLDP:

If you want the phone to appear in XIQ-SE access control end-stations, i.e. the phone to RADIUS authenticate, while still benefiting from LLDP-Med on the switch the recipe is:

• Set the global auto-sense voice I-SID / VLAN-id on the switch
  • Let the access ports have auto-sense enabled
  • Do not enable LLDP-auth for the phones
  • On the RADIUS server side (access control policy mapping or Policy role) DO NOT return ANY VLAN/I-SID via RADIUS

The phone will then:

• Get the Voice VLAN from LLDP as well as other phone related LLDP parameters, like Qos, etc
  • The phones’ MAC will be used for RADIUS MAC authentication (or EAP auth if using TLS…)
  • The switch auto-sense port will have already positioned the auto-sense Voice I-SID/VLAN on the access port
  • When/if the RADIUS server returns “Permit”, then the phone is allowed to send traffic onto the Voice VLAN (NOTE, the RADIUS response must not return any I-SID/VLAN; no need)
  • The phone will now show up under Access control end-stations
Regards Zdeněk Pala

Hi Zdeněk_Pala,

My goal is to get it working with the least effort. On EXOS I gave up and will just do it the way I had before, with LLDP and a static egress on the port, and no attributes returned via RADIUS. Which is good because that matches how you have suggested to do it for VOSS, I just had to run "no auto-sense eapol voice lldp-auth" and it worked fine, thank you.

Now for a bonus question - how do I get the IP address to show up in the end-stations table?

For VOSS edge the best way is to use DHCP snooping = mirror the DHCP responses to the Acess Control Engine.

https://emc.extremenetworks.com/content/oneview/docs/control/access_control/docs/c_engine_settings.h...

Regards Zdeněk Pala
GTM-P2G8KFN