cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EAPS (Two Member?)

EAPS (Two Member?)

B_
New Contributor II
I'm fairly certain that you cannot have a two member EAPS 'ring', but from browsing haven't been able to find confirmation of that.  Could someone confirm?  If EAPS is not an option, would ERPS, or STP, be the only other options for a setup of two switches with two connections?
4 REPLIES 4

David_Rahn
New Contributor
I am with the others on here, I do not know why there would need to be more than 2 nodes in an EAPS ring, there is nothing in the configuration that would preclude 2 node "rings".  

Gabriel_G
Extreme Employee

Hello,

You can have a 2 switch EAPS ring although it may be simpler to just use a single LAG to connect the 2 switches for L1/L2 redundancy?

The EXOS User Guide has an example of a 2 switch EAPS ring in the 'Migrating from STP to EAPS' section on page 1227:

https://documentation.extremenetworks.com/exos_31.6/downloads/EXOS_User_Guide_31.6.pdf

B_
New Contributor II
Thanks Gabriel.  Yes, LAG would be the technology that would make the most sense in this scenario, but for various reasons I need to explore other options.

Do you know offhand if a 2 switch ring always works with EAPS, or if it was a feature added at a certain EXOS version?

Gabriel_G
Extreme Employee

Hey B,

I don't see why a 2 switch ring wouldn't work on any version that generally supports EAPS. 

All of the real heavy lifting in EAPS is done by the master node, hence I don't think it matters how many transit nodes you have as they're not doing anything except for passing the EAPS control VLAN back around to the Master.

GTM-P2G8KFN