Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mlag data link

Mlag data link

wsalkos
New Contributor II

Hi, I have 2 stacks of X670 devices

I am not very satisfied with the operation of the stack, for example the fact that when updating the stack, the entire stack has to be restarted, which causes a break.

I started thinking about implementing mlag.

I would like to stack MLAG between two stacks.

I'm reading mlag documentation: https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000079895

but I'm wondering how to configure data link between stacks in mlag.

Let's assume the scheme as below, that we have a server connected to port access vlan 100 in stack 1, and another server also in vlan 100 but in stack2.

wsalkos_0-1695716489887.png

sorry for this diagram, it's just a preview

Should I tag VLAN 100 in the ISC connection or create some data link between the stacks?

I understand the idea of mlag when I have lacp on the server and I plug one link into one mlag peer and the other into the other, but what if I simply have a situation like the one above.

Should I use the isc connection as, say, a "trunk" or create another LACP connection between the stacks, but what does mlag say then?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FredrikB-NN2
Contributor

In general, I would advice against using stacks all together in EXOS. This is due to oddities like the one you describe, loops on stack reboot and other stuff. I would recommend you to create two MLAG pairs and run an MLAG-to-MLAG connection between the two pairs. Depending on your site layout and distances, you could have each MLAG pair span both sites or have one MLAG pair per site.

Also, create a NORMAL LAG (mot an MLAG) that is used for the ISC connection. This is way better than a single ISC link and an alternate ISC link/VLAN. If you can, route the two individual links in the ISC different paths, even if they are placed in the same rack. Also, donät use adjacent ports, but spread them out as much as you can. I guess you have 6 x QSFP+ ports in the 670 (are those G2 versions?). If so, use the first and last ports for the ISC if you can spare two in each switch. This is in order to eliminate hardware dependencies. In some (almost all) switch platforms, there are components (PHY chips, ASICS etc.) that are common for several ports. If you get hit by a blockage or malfunction in one such component (it happens, trust me!) and that component serves both ISC links, you're toast. If you have the ports spread out, you minimize the risk of that happening.

When it comes to connection the MLAG pair to each other, you do not need to use a full mesh MLAG, but you can use single links like this:

Sw1===ISC===Sw2    <--- This is MLAG pair 1

Sw3===ISC===Sw4    <--- This is MLAG pair 2

Create a sharing in switch 1 with one single port in it (yes, a LAG of one port). Do the same in switch 2. Then, create an MLAG in both, referencing the LAGs you just created. Do the same on sw3 and sw4. Now, you can connect sw1 to sw3 and sw2 to sw4.

In the docs you will see that they use two ports from sw1 and two ports from sw2 and cross-connect them in a full-mesh style to sw3 and sw4. This is not needed, and verified by engineering.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

FredrikB-NN2
Contributor

In general, I would advice against using stacks all together in EXOS. This is due to oddities like the one you describe, loops on stack reboot and other stuff. I would recommend you to create two MLAG pairs and run an MLAG-to-MLAG connection between the two pairs. Depending on your site layout and distances, you could have each MLAG pair span both sites or have one MLAG pair per site.

Also, create a NORMAL LAG (mot an MLAG) that is used for the ISC connection. This is way better than a single ISC link and an alternate ISC link/VLAN. If you can, route the two individual links in the ISC different paths, even if they are placed in the same rack. Also, donät use adjacent ports, but spread them out as much as you can. I guess you have 6 x QSFP+ ports in the 670 (are those G2 versions?). If so, use the first and last ports for the ISC if you can spare two in each switch. This is in order to eliminate hardware dependencies. In some (almost all) switch platforms, there are components (PHY chips, ASICS etc.) that are common for several ports. If you get hit by a blockage or malfunction in one such component (it happens, trust me!) and that component serves both ISC links, you're toast. If you have the ports spread out, you minimize the risk of that happening.

When it comes to connection the MLAG pair to each other, you do not need to use a full mesh MLAG, but you can use single links like this:

Sw1===ISC===Sw2    <--- This is MLAG pair 1

Sw3===ISC===Sw4    <--- This is MLAG pair 2

Create a sharing in switch 1 with one single port in it (yes, a LAG of one port). Do the same in switch 2. Then, create an MLAG in both, referencing the LAGs you just created. Do the same on sw3 and sw4. Now, you can connect sw1 to sw3 and sw2 to sw4.

In the docs you will see that they use two ports from sw1 and two ports from sw2 and cross-connect them in a full-mesh style to sw3 and sw4. This is not needed, and verified by engineering.

thank you very much for the good advice! yes i have X670G2

to illustrate, because I don't know if I understand correctly, would you do it as follows?

but what if, for example, SW 1 or SW 3 fails?

wsalkos_1-1695810605557.png

I understand that if I have fifty vlans on each switch, then LAG(ISC) adds these vlans as tagged?

I thought it worked like this: on ports, e.g. 47 and 48, I do a lag and add an ISC vlan there as keepalive, and on ports, e.g. 49 and 53, I do a LAG between switches for data transfer and vlan tagging?

Chris_H
Extreme Employee

I think what FredrikB-NN2 means is a two-tiered MLAG design as explained here: https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000082635

As mentioned the cross-connection for full mesh (P3 in the drawing) is not necessarily needed, but still recommended per design.

Yes, correct. In the drawing posted on Wednesday, you have all four with ISC between them, which is actually a valid config (a switch can have two MLAG peers), but far from recommended!!! Just stay away from EXOS/SE 32.x for the MLAG part and any sharing until those problems have been fixed (working with TAC from a customer perspective on that). Latest 31.7.2 would be your choice.

GTM-P2G8KFN