Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query about Configuring VLAN Ports on Extreme Networks Switches

Query about Configuring VLAN Ports on Extreme Networks Switches

Fernandez404
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the configuration of VLAN ports on Extreme Networks switches. Specifically, I am interested in the "configure vlan <vlan name> add ports <port_list> {tagged | untagged}" command.

My concern is, what happens if I forget to specify whether the ports should be tagged or untagged? Does the switch have a default behavior in such cases, or will it display an error message?

I want to make sure I correctly set up the VLAN ports, so any insights or experiences from those familiar with Extreme Networks switches would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OscarK
Extreme Employee

If you leave out the tagged/untagged option, EXOS will try to add the vlan untagged to the port.

Depending on the setting of auto-move, it could overwrite an existing untagged vlan on the port.

con vlan untagged-ports auto-move ?
inform When port is currently untagged on a VLAN, automatically move port to new VLAN and print a message (Default)
off When port is currently untagged on a VLAN, print an error
on When port is currently untagged on a VLAN, automatically move port to new VLAN

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

OscarK
Extreme Employee

If you leave out the tagged/untagged option, EXOS will try to add the vlan untagged to the port.

Depending on the setting of auto-move, it could overwrite an existing untagged vlan on the port.

con vlan untagged-ports auto-move ?
inform When port is currently untagged on a VLAN, automatically move port to new VLAN and print a message (Default)
off When port is currently untagged on a VLAN, print an error
on When port is currently untagged on a VLAN, automatically move port to new VLAN

As Oscar says, the default is to used "untagged" if nothing is stated, so this keyword could be said to be redundant. I like to use that keyword though if I configure a port in order to be precise. The only thing that can mess things up is if the port already belongs to another VLAN and the "configure vlan untagged-ports auto-move" is set to off. Then you will see this:

"Error: Protocol conflict when adding untagged port 1. Port 1 is already
untagged in vlan "office-vlan".
Either add this port as tagged or assign another protocol to this VLAN."

I was not aware of this parameter before Oscar brought it up and historically you had to remove the port from one VLAN in order to add it to another (untagged). From the command ref.:

"This command was first available in ExtremeXOS 22.1.
The default was changed from off to inform in ExtremeXOS 22.4."

GTM-P2G8KFN