cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme 5520 VLAN Management w/VOSS

Extreme 5520 VLAN Management w/VOSS

mike71
New Contributor

Hello, my name is Mike and I am new to the extreme world and was wondering if someone could please shed some light on setting up a new extreme 5520-48w POE switch. I am trying to configure VLAN management through the fiber VIM module. Currently the switch is running my POE phones which work great through the VIM module, so i know the connectivity is good. The only problem is that I cant figure out how to remotely manage the switch passing through the VIM module. The MGMT OOB port in the back is the only way i can manage the switch currently. Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you dont mind please elaborate for me the best you can. I attached my config for review. Thank you kindly.

6 REPLIES 6

Jave
Contributor

Hi @mike71 

For me, you have just to create an in-band mgmt vlan, create mgmt interface on it and tag the VLAN through your VIM interface. By example, if you choose VLAN 100, with IP address 192.168.100.1/24:

conf t
vlan create 100 name MGMT type port-mstprstp 0
vlan i-sid 100 10100 (if you use SPBm traffic)
mgmt vlan
ip address 192.168.100.1/24
ip route 0.0.0.0/0 next-hop 192.168.100.254
enable
vlan members add 100 <VIM_INTERFACE_NUMBER>

Hi Jave, thanks for getting back to me with this potential solution. Since im using the Voss OS, my fiber connections on the VIM module are labeled as 2/1, 2/2, 2/3, and 2/4 as shown on the GUI. So in reference to your example above im using VIM Interface 2/3 so with that being said would the last line in your sample config look something like this......

vlan members add 100 2/3

Hi @mike71 

Yes, your config looks right.

mike71
New Contributor

Hi Jave, no luck with the config setup you sent. Not sure why it doesnt work since thats the typical setup i have found when trying to setup a MGMT Vlan. I did read a little about Clip, but not sure if that applies to my case. There must be an easier way to manage the switch through the VIM ports but again i have been hammering on this thing for over a week and have had no luck. If anybody has any ideas on switch management through the fiber ports on the VIM, i would greatly appreciate it. Thank you kindly

GTM-P2G8KFN