Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOSS: Adding port to vlan - difference between portmember | none | static

VOSS: Adding port to vlan - difference between portmember | none | static

M_Nees
Contributor III

Hi,

handling vlan membership within VOSS needs some clarification to me.

This is the used command:

vlan members add <1-4059> {slot/port[/sub-port][-slot/port[/subport]][,...]} [{portmember|static|notallowed}]

What is the (exact and maybe internal) difference if i one if the optional appendix [{portmember|static|notallowed}] or no appendix is used?

I try none and portmember is the same …
So i guess portmember is default value. Or is there another difference ?

What’s about static ?

Notallowed is maybe used to avoid that dynamic protocols like MVRP/GVRP will assign a specific vlan to that port. Correct ?

Unfortunately Manualy (not CLI ref nor VLAN User Guide descibe this 3 commands)

I hope that someone out there have an answer to this question.

BR,

Matthias

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

99.999999% of the time you will just use the following command

vlan member add 192 1/1  

As you discovered that will add the vlan as a portmember and append that line to the config file.

The other options are required if you are doing policy based VLANs.  

Its described here on pg 17.

https://documentation.extremenetworks.com/VOSS/SW/81x/ConfigVLANSVOSS_8.1.5_CG.pdf?_ga=2.128823116.1...

Someone may come in and correct me, but TTBOMK those commands are required if you are doing a NAC solution with dynamic VLAN assignment but you want certain ports to behave in a certain way.   I.E.  You have a NAC policy for Printers and a Printer VLAN, but you never want a printer to be pluged into a certain port.  I guess you can lock down the ports.   

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

99.999999% of the time you will just use the following command

vlan member add 192 1/1  

As you discovered that will add the vlan as a portmember and append that line to the config file.

The other options are required if you are doing policy based VLANs.  

Its described here on pg 17.

https://documentation.extremenetworks.com/VOSS/SW/81x/ConfigVLANSVOSS_8.1.5_CG.pdf?_ga=2.128823116.1...

Someone may come in and correct me, but TTBOMK those commands are required if you are doing a NAC solution with dynamic VLAN assignment but you want certain ports to behave in a certain way.   I.E.  You have a NAC policy for Printers and a Printer VLAN, but you never want a printer to be pluged into a certain port.  I guess you can lock down the ports.   

GTM-P2G8KFN