cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to figure out which channel isn't interference with the other ap.

how to figure out which channel isn't interference with the other ap.

zlinuxboy
Contributor

I deploy an aerohive ap on a public space, and choose 36 channel(width 80Mhz). If the other guy deploy anohter ap(802.11 ac2 ) neaby and choose 44 channle(width 160Mhz), does this two channel interference with each other?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi,

Yes, they will. The sort of issue you may experience is overlapping BSS, where primary channels are more strict about clear channel assessment than secondary channels from what I remember. That means, you may end up with lots of traffic on wide channel secondary part bursting lot of MCS data not caring much about what’s going on this channel as another AP’s primary. It would be better to keep them off on the spectrum or - if they need to overlap - keep their primary channels the same. You will split your channel capacity in half but it’s better. Is that wide channel really needed? In enterprise I’d aim to remain 20 MHz or go into 40 MHz depending on the radio environment size and density.

More:

https://www.mikealbano.com/2015/10/channelization-obss-impact.html

https://divdyn.com/wi-fi-throughput/

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

middleton65
New Contributor

Thanks for the update and quick reply. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread. Looking for the same issue. Bumped into your thread. Thanks for creating it. Looking forward for solution.

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi,

I don’t think so. The scheme only covers possiblity of 36+ or 40- resulting as 40 MHz “CH 38”, 44+ or 48- resulting as “CH 46” and so on.. It comes from the fact that 40 MHz channels are strictly defined with their center frequencies.

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

zlinuxboy
Contributor

hi, @Tomasz thank you for so detailed info

May I choose 40Mhz as channel width, and set 40+, then the primary channel is 40 and secondary is 44?

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi,

It’s always per scheme, 157 can be bonded with 161. Different notion is used sometimes to determine the primary channel. Sometimes bonded channels have their numbers in GUIs/CLIs, sometimes not. Eg. 40 MHz channel might be ‘36+’ or ‘40-’, so it uses 36 or 40 as primary and the next one or previous one (per scheme) is secondary. Or in WiNG we might have 36w, 36ww, 36www for bonded channels of greater width (40/80/160 MHz).

Whether you pick 36, 40, 44 or 48 for your 80 MHz channel, that channel will use all four but the primary channel might be different. But then…

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

GTM-P2G8KFN