cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do i need to consider before adding my HA controller in a working wireless network?

What do i need to consider before adding my HA controller in a working wireless network?

Carlo_Alviar
New Contributor
I have working wireless network now. And i need to include a second controller to increase the number of APs supported. I have 2 C35 and one of them is working as a primary now.
11 REPLIES 11

Yes and no, if the Admin interface is up and has a IP in the same subnet as the RADIUS server it could result that requests are send out via the interface.

To avoid that you'd do different things.
- disable the interface in the VM
- don't use a IP in the customers network (leave it on the default 192.168.10.1 address) & don't set a default gateway in the host settings of the controller

If it's a VM controller I prefer to disable the interface in the VM.
For a hardware controller just don't plug a cable into the port.

FES
New Contributor III
Ok, but if you create other physical adminL3 interface at esa0 and you check Managemen interface we have to disable at vmware options the admin interface because the 802.1x validations are created by admin interface.
Its this correct?

FES
New Contributor III
Nathiya,
We have to specify the ip address to do the HA.
Its recomended to use the Admin interface to do the HA?
or..
we must create a new physical Admin interface at the esa0 or esa1 interface.

Nathiya_Munuswa
Extreme Employee
Answering the questions below,
How could i integrate the two controllers in one network?
- You can configure both the controllers in same VLAN.

Do i need to put them together in one switch via a tagged or untagged VLAN?
- It depends on your network design. You can put them on a tagged or untagged VLAN. Most of the time it will be a Tagged VLAN.

What port of the EWC to be integrated in the network?
- Any port from 1 to 4 can be used to connect to the network

Is it the management or L2 ports?
- The port used to connect to the controller will be a management port. Using L2 port we will not be able to manage the controller.

Will there be a down time in the EWLAN due to the restarting of controllers? If there is any how long will it take?
- Controller reload will be suggested in maintenance window. The reload will take only couple of minutes. However, after controller reload we need to wait for the Ap's to come back on the controller.
GTM-P2G8KFN