Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme APs and Power Settings and Site Survey

Extreme APs and Power Settings and Site Survey

RobertD1
Contributor II

Hello,

If a site survey is carried out prior to installation of Extreme APs, should the power be set to match the radio used for the survey? So, if WiFi0 was used to check 2.4GHz band and had power level 7 dbM should the Extreme APs be configured to use the same power level? The survey identified the quantity of APs to install in each location (a warehouse). Or can they be left as Auto power?

Also, how do you create heat maps for a warehouse where the APs are installed at different heights? There is no floor plan either so effectively all APs are in the same place as far as XIQ is concerned so heat maps will not work I presume in this case.

Thanks,

Rob

6 REPLIES 6

Jan_Reister
Contributor

You configure the APs TXPower and channel according to the project, usually. If using Auto RF, configure a custom 3dB power range for each radio (2.4 -6dB usually lower than 5 and 6 GHz).

Maps are essential in managing and troubleshooting a WLAN.

Thanks Jan for your post. Adding APs on floor plans certainly helps. Good to get real time advice so thank you.

Bartek
New Contributor III

My recommendation is to manually choose channel and power level if possible as a rule of thumb. Is 2.4 GHz band your primary concern or 5 GHz?

I also prefer manual channel plans, up to a certaing total numer of APs. When you deal with the hundred/thousand numbers, manual channels are hard to manage.

GTM-P2G8KFN