cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AP460e/NX5500 Assistance

AP460e/NX5500 Assistance

Sethg103
New Contributor

I have a few questions related to the aP460e and NX5500.

1: How do I console in to the 460e / and or see the gui of it? I have a console cable and when I try to console in with putty this is what I see. 

296869ad3b524fb8a0be9cc441fc2a3c_7aa334ff-f2bc-4ce1-a889-194223d0652d.png
Console Screen
  1. The reason I need to get in to it is because I need to tell it the IP address of the NX5500 I have because it is on a different broadcast domain. Would I need to do this manually on all of my APs that won’t be on the same network as the controller or is there a way to automate adding the controllers IP address? Also is that the only thing I need to do to get the controller to adopt it or do I need to mess around with IPSEC at all? I also do not have any clusters configured. 
  2. This question should be easy but I’m having a hard time with it at the moment. Is there a way to make it so access points in different RF Domains broadcast different SSIDs? All I’m seeing right now is the wireless lans under configuration and if they’re enabled or disabled. I can’t find a way to map certain SSIDs to an RF Domain or AP profile.
  3.  Finally what is the best way to get updated AP software onto the controller so it can update devices? I’m even fine using a USB device.

I understand if these take some time to answer. The answers I get from you guys are always really helpful so thank you again in advance for your time and any of the questions you’re able to answer for me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Christoph_S
Extreme Employee

Hello Seth,

Layer 3 adoption is the way to go in this case; however, there are 3 methods for layer 3 adoption as such:

1 - Configure option 191 on your DHCP server. Once an AP is plugged in it will pull the necessary information for layer 3 adoption. This is an automated way of doing this

2 - Configuring the controller host command on APs, per instructions sent previously. This will have to be configured on APs once plugged in at remote site

3 - Prestage the APs, meaning adopt them locally by the controller and have them pull all the necessary information then install them remotely. They should know how to get back to the controller thereafter if all is properly configured. 

I hope this helps,

Christoph S.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Christoph_S
Extreme Employee

Hello Seth,

If you’re saving the settings (com wr) on the AP then they should persist a reboot. Something else is happening here. The easiest way to do this would be to follow these steps:

On the controller completely remove the AP, this will insure that no lingering settings are being pushed to the AP once it adopts:

1 - From GUI go to Configure > Devices > Device Configuration > Select AP > Click on the Delete button > Click on Commit and Save

2 - On the AP, reconfigure the controller host commands in ‘Self’ then save and have it adopt

3 - Once adopted, SSH into the AP again and run the following commands:

#self
#show context

4 - Verify that the controller host commands are still there. 

5 - On the Controller make sure you configure same commands in the AP profile and also confirm that the host command settings are also configured for this AP as overrides:

#config
#host <hostname>
#show context

I hope this helps,

Chris

Christoph S.

Sethg103
New Contributor

@Christoph S. I tested out if the reason was it being connected to the controller or not. It’s slow even when not adopted by the controller so I’m back to thinking maybe it’s because I’m using a 460e without antennas.

Something I did notice is even though I typed in the controller host command and saved the configuration, if I reboot the access point and check the adoption status it defaults to becoming it’s own controller still and I have to type in the controller host command again. Is there a way to get that to persist?

Sethg103
New Contributor

@Christoph S. This worked fine, the AP is adopted by the controller now.

3e821c6fd63a42bd8b419afe45d2cb2c_cf465868-6c07-4218-9e31-4c7afca0b79d.png

The controller should just manage the AP settings even though it’s at a remote building, which it is doing that. I made a test SSID just to see how it would be handled. You may or may not know why but for some reason the ping or time it takes to ping google or elsewhere is very high. In this picture I’m adding its the test ssid vs what we have on our old system. I have everything configured the same as the old system so I’m not sure if it has something to do with the AP now being managed at a remote building now. 

3e821c6fd63a42bd8b419afe45d2cb2c_9c3b47ae-e017-42b9-824f-70beeb233549.png

I’m also not sure if it’s because the AP460e I’m testing it on doesn’t have antennas yet, or if something weird is going on and I need to use different vlans.

Here are some of the errors I’m setting when consoled into the AP:

<4>CCB:10:BAD_PACKET:  Bcast/Mcast ICMP not allowed :

and

<4>CCB:37:INVALID PADDING:  hop-by-hop extension header contains more than one pad1 option back to back

and

<4>CCB:8:IP-MAC CONFLICT:  Conflict in ip-mac binding between packet and snoop table data : Vlan = 1, 

any ideas or suggestions to test out?

Sethg103
New Contributor

I meant to put your other answer as the best and just like this new one but they both answered my questions. You are the best @Christoph S. Thank you so much for all your time you’ve spent answering my questions.

GTM-P2G8KFN