cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to determine (measure?) the antenna gain for AP ?

How to determine (measure?) the antenna gain for AP ?

Thang_Manh
New Contributor
When I use dual External Antenna for 2.4 và 5Ghz band (omni 10dBi and sector 15 dBi) on the 6562 AP and set tranmission power up maximum value.
Now, gain value is setting by default = 0 (in WiNG).
How to determine (measure?) the antenna gain for AP in situation to more increase transmission capacity and coverage area?
I know that the gain value is usually config smaller than the product spec value.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ckelly
Extreme Employee
Technically, it's not NECESSARY, but....if you were to input the wrong value (too low) you could have a situation where the AP may exceed local regulatory power levels (Illegal and possibly subject to fines).

As for finding the actual gain (dBi) value for an antenna, you will always be able to find this. Besides the horizontal and vertical bandwidths, it's one of the most important characteristics of any wifi antenna...and as such, it will always be stated in the description of each antenna.
So once you have this value, input it into the antenna gain field.

But now we're back to your original comment - using a combination of different antenna types - with different gain values. So which gain value do you use now? To be safe, you would use the larger gain value.
But, as I mentioned before, you create other issues by having antennas with different radiation properties and gain values.
So bottom line, use the same antenna types for each radio (perfectly fine to use a DIFFERENT antenna for the other radio though) and find and input the antenna gain value into the gain configuration field.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Thang_Manh
New Contributor

Dear Chris Kelly,

Thanks for your help.

ckelly
Extreme Employee
Technically, it's not NECESSARY, but....if you were to input the wrong value (too low) you could have a situation where the AP may exceed local regulatory power levels (Illegal and possibly subject to fines).

As for finding the actual gain (dBi) value for an antenna, you will always be able to find this. Besides the horizontal and vertical bandwidths, it's one of the most important characteristics of any wifi antenna...and as such, it will always be stated in the description of each antenna.
So once you have this value, input it into the antenna gain field.

But now we're back to your original comment - using a combination of different antenna types - with different gain values. So which gain value do you use now? To be safe, you would use the larger gain value.
But, as I mentioned before, you create other issues by having antennas with different radiation properties and gain values.
So bottom line, use the same antenna types for each radio (perfectly fine to use a DIFFERENT antenna for the other radio though) and find and input the antenna gain value into the gain configuration field.

Thang_Manh
New Contributor

Thanks Chris Kelly for help,

I want to ask it is necessary to set the specific value of the antenna gain in the management interface?
Or set it by default value (=0)?
If I need setting up, I will fill in the correct value in the spec dievice or base to the manufacturer's guideline?

Thang_Manh
New Contributor

Dear Chirstoph ,
Thanks for your support.
They are not extreme antennas, but I will consult your information.
So for example with Panel antennas peak gain can set value by 10.9dBi as guideline or less than 10.9dBi?
GTM-P2G8KFN