cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps to Upgrade NX5500 firmware

Steps to Upgrade NX5500 firmware

OGB-NIKO
Contributor

How do i -upgrade-a-WiNG-NX5500 controller in a active/standbuy cluster or-AP-from-CLI or GUI

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ckelly
Extreme Employee

simply removing the AP’s ability to connect to the Primary controller will do this. This could be be powering down the Primary, or disconnecting it from the network, or however else you can think of. If you have quick physical access to the cluster, the easiest/fastest way is to just pull the network cable from the Primary.

At that point though, in order to upgrade the Primary, you need network access into it so you could just use a laptop and connect DIRECTLY into the Primary.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

OGB-NIKO
Contributor

Chris once the controllers are updated I take it that I will have to upload the newer ap7532 version 7.5.1.2  software and then manually update the aps from either the controller GUI or sftp ? I do believe i have auto provisioning turned off should i keep it off for the upgrade i only have one model ap 7532. Your thoughts ?

ckelly
Extreme Employee

simply removing the AP’s ability to connect to the Primary controller will do this. This could be be powering down the Primary, or disconnecting it from the network, or however else you can think of. If you have quick physical access to the cluster, the easiest/fastest way is to just pull the network cable from the Primary.

At that point though, in order to upgrade the Primary, you need network access into it so you could just use a laptop and connect DIRECTLY into the Primary.

OGB-NIKO
Contributor

Chris please excuse me for my ignorance on the subject but how do you failover APs from the primary controller to the secondary controller ?

Christoph_S
Extreme Employee

Hello Niko,

1 - Fail all APs over to the Standby controller (this confirms that the cluster is working)

2 - Upgrade the Primary controller and reboot.

3 - Upgrade the Standby controller. Once rebooted the APs  should fail back over to the Primary controller and start upgrading

Here are the upgrade instructions:

From CLI:

https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000082030

GUI:

https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000079387

I hope this helps,

Chris

Christoph S.
GTM-P2G8KFN