cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying Virtual AP Device Configuration to Another Virtual or Real AP Device

Copying Virtual AP Device Configuration to Another Virtual or Real AP Device

gnar13
New Contributor II

I've spent a few months developing a few virtual AP device configurations (and all the policies, etc.) in XIQ.  I'm finally almost ready to onboard the physical AP device(s), but have a question:  When I onboard the physical device, does the virtual device go away, or will I end up with both the onboarded physical device and the virtual device?

Also, is there a way to exactly copy all the attributes of a virtual device into another one in one step, with just the necessity to change the name/ID?  I'd like to keep my original virtual configurations as reference.

Does this make sense?  Thanks... 🤔

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Christoph_S
Extreme Employee

Hello @gnar13,

Virtual APs will not be deleted or removed when importing real devices. You can test this by importing a real device (without actually connecting one). 

When you create configurations you are actually creating objects which are stored in the main object container (Configure > Common Objects) and those can be used by any AP that supports these settings. If you delete an object from the Network Policy, you are simply removing it from said Network Policy and not completely deleting it since it still exists in the main object container. 

You will have to build an AP template for the real APs and add the objects therein (but those should have been already configured so all you have to do is select and add them to the template)

I hope this helps,

BR,

Christoph S.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Christoph_S
Extreme Employee

Hello @gnar13,

Virtual APs will not be deleted or removed when importing real devices. You can test this by importing a real device (without actually connecting one). 

When you create configurations you are actually creating objects which are stored in the main object container (Configure > Common Objects) and those can be used by any AP that supports these settings. If you delete an object from the Network Policy, you are simply removing it from said Network Policy and not completely deleting it since it still exists in the main object container. 

You will have to build an AP template for the real APs and add the objects therein (but those should have been already configured so all you have to do is select and add them to the template)

I hope this helps,

BR,

Christoph S.

Hi Christoph_S,

That's exactly the information and detail I was looking for.  🙂  Thanks.

Regarding the AP template... Is it possible to save an existing virtual AP device configuration as a new template?  From what I've seen when importing the real devices earlier today (and your comment near your last paragraph) it's not possible and must be built from scratch.  Did I get that right?

Best regards,

gnar13

Hello @gnar13,

The same template can be used by real and simulated APs, so if you create a template for example for an AP460C simulated AP, you can use the same template for a real device. 

I hope this helps,

BR,

Christoph S.
GTM-P2G8KFN