Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XIQ - Capture ethernet interface date local to the AP

XIQ - Capture ethernet interface date local to the AP

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello community,

is there a way to capture data from the ethernet ports localy on the AP? I don't care if the packages are only displayed or saved to a file.

There are the following commands:

Aero#capture interface
    <wifix>   Enter the name of a Wi-Fi radio interface, where x = 0 or 1
Aero#capture save interface
    <wifix>   Enter the name of a Wi-Fi radio interface, where x = 0 or 1

but with this you can only select Wifi interfaces. Is there something comparable for the Ethernet port?

Regards Stephan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Stephan, I’m not finding anything similar for Ethernet ports (maybe someone else will have a suggestion), but I do think this has been a feature request before. If you can submit another feature request for this with your SE, that will help promote that request for faster implementation. If you aren’t sure who to reach out to for your SE, please let me know and I’ll email that information directly to you. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

reinhardg
Contributor II

Hello Stephan,

in case the data on the mirror port is different to the data on the AP port I would assume that the port mirroring on the switch does not work correctly. How did you verify that?

You are right: Being dependent from the LAN admins might be a bit annoying.f37806885fc840d7af807a1028313644_1f609.png

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello Reinhard,

thanks for the suggestion. Specifically, I had the problem that the data I got on the mirror port and the data that really arrives on the AP were different. Therefore, the mirror port was not enough for me and I hoped to see more through the trace in the AP.

In addition, the function of the trace on the AP would be especially helpful if you do not have access to the switches.

Regards Stephan

reinhardg
Contributor II

This might be a workaround:

Check whether your switch has something like a “mirror port” feature. If your switch has this feature, you can mirror the ethernet traffic of the port your AP is connected to to another switch port and connect a network sniffer to that port.

StephanH
Valued Contributor III

Hello John,

that is also all I know. At the beginning of my search I came across the command via this old page:
https://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/6.1r1/ref/cli_guide320-340.htm#cmd141

But the KB article you mentioned says more.

Regards Stephan
GTM-P2G8KFN