Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adopting X430 onto MDF

Adopting X430 onto MDF

HeyHelpDeskGuy
New Contributor III

Hey all,

I’m new to EW and ES, and wanted to ask how I can adopt an extra X430 8 port switch I found to the network? 

I want to adopt it to the network because whenever I try to program a port it comes back as, Invalid input detected at '^' marker, which is always at the vlan. 

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor

Could you try “con vlan ?” to see the available options.

If that doesn’t give you a hint what is wrong post please a screenshot and also include the output for “show vlan” and “show version”.

-Ron

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

HeyHelpDeskGuy
New Contributor III

Thanks @Ronald Dvorak 

We have several VLANS (please see below). 

ec76e8bb89094310b953b72f409fc619_57fbaf94-e3c1-459a-8f97-effd58e5e6e1.png

Our setup is pretty complex and I know we have a different management IP for each deployed device. For instance the Carriage House (where I’ll be tomorrow) is different from the Visitor Center Management IP. So I’ll use that Carriage House IP tomorrow, correct? 

ec76e8bb89094310b953b72f409fc619_022eb8d7-8b49-46e1-b7aa-5c09c66dba7e.png

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor

I’m pretty sure that you don’t use out of band managment (=the mgmt port) in your infrastructure.

The reason behind that is that you’d need a complete overlay managment LAN which doesn’t happen often - at least for small/medium customers in my experience

The easy way to check that is to connect to one of your other running EXOS switches and do a “show vlan” and see on which VLAN the IP is configured.

e.g. that is one of my test switches - as you’d see the IP is set for VLAN 100 which is also my access VLAN for my clients - it’s a test switch so I don’t care if mgmt traffic is on the same VLAN as the test user traffic.

8fb5bcae122444c3811619db68a5f7f3_dd5ef9e5-e0d6-44ba-922b-ffdab4033727.png

In a real installation you’d normaly configure a new mgmt VLAN that could only be accessed by the department that manages the infrastructure to avoid access by normal end users.

So for my above example I’ve used the following commands to config the IP…

# configure vlan 100 ip 172.25.25.156 255.255.255.0

# configure iproute add default 172.25.25.254 vr VR-Default

-Ron

HeyHelpDeskGuy
New Contributor III

Thanks @Ronald Dvorak you’re right I should. I’m very new to Extreme Switching and this location was given to me to take over IT management for, and there was no documentation. So I’ve had to not only teach myself Extreme but also teach myself/document the IP scope, VLAN’s, etc. 

So as a game plan for tomorrow; 

Step 1 - I’ll try to add the SFP to see if that helps

Step 2 - If it doesn’t I’ll add the Management IP address & subnet mask, and then VLAN 30 so I can finally get this WAP working. 

I’ll let you know how I make out. 

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor

To be more precise that would config a IP for the mgmt VLAN which is only on the mgmt port = out of band mgmt.

If you like to have in-band mgmt the better option would be to config it on a normal VLAN that is routed in-band to your NOC to have remote access.

-Ron

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor

Hi,

you could also use the console port if you are onsite but it would make sense to config a IP so you are able to access the switch via remote in the future.

-Ron

GTM-P2G8KFN