cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC to IP resolution between Wireless Controller and NAC

MAC to IP resolution between Wireless Controller and NAC

Joshua_Beddingf
New Contributor II
We are having trouble with guests completing the captive portal registration on the NAC. This is apparently a MAC-to-IP resolution issue between the EWC and the NAC. The subnet for the captive portal is 10.200.x.x and the DHCP is handled by the EWC's onboard DHCP for the topology.

I doing something wrong because the NAC is not resolving these addresses therfor they connot complete registration. The information from the switches resolves perfectly but not from this "guest" subnet. I am sure there is a check box somewhere I am missing, any help?

14 REPLIES 14

As you mentioned that NAC portal is not in same subnet, I think the ip-helper or bootp relay configuration would be need in core switch so that the NAC could get the DHCP packets for MAC-to-IP resolution.

SNMPv3 is configured and working. I will check the logs

The EWC should be sending it over, but an additional ip-helper wouldn't hurt.
Please verify SNMPv3.
you can further check the logs on NAC to identify why IP-to-MAC resolution is failing.

4f4f484bd632440eaca2490725952e5b_RackMultipart20170828-86930-y0g6ox-Capture_inline.png

The local DHCP server in the EWC is providing IP Adresses. Would the ip-helper still be useful? I assume the NAC would be "sniffing" dhcp traffic.

Joshua_Beddingf
New Contributor II
"If I unterstand that correctly you can't ping the guest client from the NAC - correct ?"
Not sure what I said that led you to think this. I can ping clients from the NAC.

"Do you use the main interface on the NAC for the guest auth"

Yes. We use the main interface. Would using a secondary interface improve performance?
GTM-P2G8KFN