cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some concepts about VC to be clarify.

Some concepts about VC to be clarify.

zlinuxboy
Contributor

I have two ap7522(a and b etc) and config dynamic VC on one of them. A was elect as VC, B was adopted to the VC. here is the questions:

1. will ap A be adopted by VC too?
  2. may I refine the VC config on B and auto update the whole rf domain?
  3. If I ssh into B and set a static ip to it, after a while the ip just disappear.
    here is the context of vc:
    ---
    profile ap7522 default-ap7522
     ip name-server 221.176.88.95
     ip default-gateway 192.168.9.254
     autoinstall configuration
     autoinstall firmware
     crypto ikev1 policy ikev1-default
      isakmp-proposal default encryption aes-256 group 2 hash sha
     crypto ikev2 policy ikev2-default
      isakmp-proposal default encryption aes-256 group 2 hash sha
     crypto ipsec transform-set default esp-aes-256 esp-sha-hmac
     crypto ikev1 remote-vpn
     crypto ikev2 remote-vpn
     crypto auto-ipsec-secure
     crypto load-management
     crypto remote-vpn-client
     interface radio1
      wlan wing-hkxd bss 1 primary
     interface radio2
      wlan wing-hkxd bss 1 primary
     interface ge1
      switchport mode trunk
      switchport trunk allowed vlan 7-10
      switchport trunk native vlan 9
     interface vlan1
      ip address dhcp
      ip address zeroconf secondary
      ip dhcp client request options all
     interface vlan7
      description guestUser-vlan
     interface vlan8
      description homeUser-vlan
     interface vlan9
      description mgt-vlan
     interface vlan10
      description device-vlan
     interface pppoe1
     use firewall-policy default
     ntp server 0.pool.ntp.org
     use client-identity-group default
     virtual-controller auto
     virtual-controller management-interface ip address 192.168.9.140/24
     virtual-controller management-interface vlan 9
     rf-domain-manager capable
     logging on
     service pm sys-restart
     router ospf
     adoption-mode controller
    ---
    Any hints? thanks in advanced.

1. both of them have a mint links to A

ap7522-A2DA54#show mint links
2 mint links on 75.A2.DA.54:
link vlan-7 at level 1, 1 adjacencies, DIS 75.A2.DA.54 (self)
link vlan-9 at level 1, 1 adjacencies, DIS 75.A1.AE.58

why A link to itself through vlan 7, what exactly purpose link itself with mint?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Christoph_S
Extreme Employee

To answer your question: AP “A” will not adopt to itself. 

Here’s some info on priority election:

Election priority is determined in one of 3 ways:

1. Lowest Mint-ID (Only If all APs are similar). Nothing needs to be configured in this case
  2. Highest model (For heterogeneous deployments). Nothing needs to be configured in this case.
  3. RF-domain manager priority: This should be configured as an override on each AP in the redundancy pool. This allows you to control which AP is next in line to become the Virtual controller should the current one fail. Still on the AP to be designated as the primary VC go to Configuration >> Devices >> Device Overrides >> Select the AP >> Edit >> Profile Overrides >> General >> RF Domain Manager >> Priority >> Check the box >> Enter 255 >> OK >> Commit and Save.

This AP will become the designated primary virtual controller which should start adopting all other APs.

Once done, configure the priority on the rest of the APs selected to be in the redundancy pool by going to Configuration >> Devices >> Device Overrides >> select AP >> Edit >> Profile Overrides >> RF Domain Manager >> Priority >> Check the box >> Enter 254 >> OK >> Commit and Save. Repeat these steps on all APs in the redundancy pool, decreasing the priority on each accordingly.

In other words, there is no automated way to keep a newly elected AP (after initial AP goes down) as VC if another AP with a lower mint ID was added. You can set rf domain manager priority so that if the AP that goes down is replaced (RMA’d), you can set a lower RFDM priority on the new AP so that the current VC AP is not switched. 

I hope this makes sense. 

Thank you,

Christoph S.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi,

I think the how to guides (for centralized deployment or for best practices) explain a bit about MINT. Good to know, it’s based on IS-IS. What would you like to know certainly? We can try to provide you with more details on the fly hopefully.

Kind regards,

Tomasz

zlinuxboy
Contributor

@Chris Kelly 

Is there any articles or white paper about MiNT protocol introduce work flow and more detail infomation. because I think MiNT is the spirit of WiNG, so I wan to learn it more.

I have some question about MiNT when deployment. the only article about MiNT on web is :

Motorola MiNT Protocol What is It

but I don’t have the access to it.

zlinuxboy
Contributor

If the ethernet port to ap is set to access, any possible to dynamic assign different vlans to different group users?

ckelly
Extreme Employee

This could be done using different SSIDs or you could use dynamic VLAN assignment. With that, each user’s RADIUS authentication could provide a return attribute (tunnel-private-group-id) that WING would use to place them onto the specified VLAN.

Role based vlan assignment could also be used (based on supported attributes from LDAP/AD) or simply based on assigned user roles that are based on things like AP location, auth/encryption type, group membership, MAC, SSID.

GTM-P2G8KFN